Digital Spring Cleaning Guide for SMBs
Just like your home, your digital space can become cluttered and disorganized. For small to medium-sized business (SMB) owners and individuals, a digital detox can do wonders for you and your business. Not only can a good digital spring cleaning improve speed and performance, but it will also help keep your system secure and help combat cyber-attacks. Grab your digital broom and let’s get to work. Don’t forget those hard-to-reach places!
Sweep your Website
- Declutter your plug-ins and software. Delete the ones you don’t need to mitigate your website’s security risks. Make sure the ones you keep are up-to-date and regularly monitored and updated.
- Back-up your website files and database to ensure you don’t lose important data in the event of a cyber-attack or other security incident.
- Automate your website security efforts. Your site should be regularly monitored for malware and other viruses.
Clean your Machines
- Update software, programs and apps. Having the latest updates, security software, web browsers and operating system is the most fool-proof way to keep devices secure and protect your data.
- Back-up your systems, devices and files (especially important data you can’t live without!) Even better: Enable automated back-ups to ensure your data is constantly secure.
- Delete software, apps and services you no longer use. These programs are just risking your security, wasting space and likely wasting money if you never use them.
- Clean out your contacts. When was the last time you did business with this person or talked with them? This can also be a great reminder of valuable contacts you should reach out to and could potentially bring you more business.
Freshen Up Your Cybersecurity
- Review your company’s cybersecurity policies and practices, ensuring they are up-to-date and that every employee is educated.
- Implement annual cybersecurity training for your employees if you don’t already. Since your employees are your first line of defense against cyber-attacks, it’s crucial to make sure they are following cybersecurity best practices.
- Spruce up your passwords. Make sure you’re using a unique, complex password or passphrase across your accounts. Always use multi-factor authentication when available and implement a password manager that quickly generates strong passwords, manages your saved logins and more.
- Tune-up web browsers by checking browser settings and clearing out old data like saved passwords.
Clean Up Your Online Presence
- Remove social media accounts you no longer use. Also, delete any old and/or unnecessary posts or photos.
- Review privacy and location settings on accounts you continue to use. You should do this for both personal and business accounts.
- If you’re a business owner, review and limit who has administrative access to your company accounts. Grant access only to employees who need access to complete their job duties.
Purge Digital Files
- Clean up your email inbox. Create some new folders and rigorously go through your inbox. If the email is urgent, handle it now and file. If it’s not urgent, schedule it and/or file. If it’s unimportant, delete it! Make sure you delete your trash folder.
- Unsubscribe. How many newsletters are you subscribed to that you never read? My best guess is TOO many. It’s time to unsubscribe and lighten your inbox load.
- Clean up documents. While this might take longer than other tasks, it’s well worth it. Create appropriate folders to keep your files organized. Finally taking care of your file-scattered desktop will make your digital life easier.
Move to the Cloud
Migrating to the cloud is one of the best ways to keep your company organized, efficient and productive. Not only does our cloud-based system enhance the flexibility of your Houston business, but it provides built-in data security and data protection as well. More than providing unrestricted business operations, our cloud hosting software requires you to purchase minimal networking equipment in your office.
Allow us to give you a simple solution to storing and accessing important company applications and information while keeping the technology up to date so your business increases its success! With so many benefits, switching to the cloud is a no-brainer. Contact us today to make the switch![addtoany]